Including In Vitro Fertilization and IUI Intrauterine Insemination
Assisted Reproductive Technologies include In vitro fertilization (IVF), Intrauterine insemination (IUI), Gamete intra-fallopian transfer (GIFT), and Zygote intra-fallopian transfer (ZIFT). Whether you are undergoing IVF, IUI, GIFT, or ZIFT, it can be an emotional and stressful time for both you and your partner. Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine has been used in conjunction with these treatments and has shown to increase a couple’s chance of conceiving by 65% and lead to a healthy pregnancy. Nurture Acupuncture is here to help you.
We are able to come to your fertility clinic or your home to provide acupuncture treatments for pre- and post-IVF transfer or insemination. To learn more or to schedule your session, contact us today!
Major Benefits Provided by Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine
- Increases the blood flow to the uterus
- Increases the thickness of the uterine lining
- Regulates the hormones to produce a larger number of follicles
- Improves the function of the ovaries to produce higher quality eggs
- Improves sperm count, motility, morphology, and reduces sperm DNA fragmentation
- Reduces the side effects of IVF/IUI medications
- Strengthens the immune system and increases energy
- Promotes relaxation and decreases the stress response
- Increases chance of conception and rate of embryo implantation
- Prevents uterine contraction post-IVF/IUI
- Decreases risk of miscarriage
Research in reproductive health has shown dramatic clinical effects from the use of acupuncture and Chinese medicine. The March 2008 issue of the British Medical Journal published the results of a recent study showing the effectiveness of using acupuncture during IVF. It compared results of women who underwent acupuncture, those who were given fake needle treatments, and those who had no extra therapy. Those who received acupuncture increased their chances of conceiving by 65%.
The May 2006 Sterility and Fertility issue showed that having acupuncture on the day of embryo transfer significantly improved conception (39% vs. 26%) and ongoing pregnancy rates (36% vs. 22%). Also, in the 1996 issue of Human Reproduction, a European study showed that receiving eight acupuncture treatments, twice a week for four weeks prior to IVF increased the blood flow to the uterine arteries and resulted in higher pregnancy rates.